Homeowners Insurance

Coverage in Plain English

Below is an explanation of the basic homeowners insurance coverages in plain English. Remember, this is just a general description and not policy language. The items below will vary based on the policy type you purchase but these general terms will get you started.
  • Homeowners Insurance

    Covers owner occupied 1 to 2 family dwellings with limited rental exposures.

  • Renters Insurance

    Covers the contents of an apartment, additional living expenses and personal liability for Renters.

  • Co-Op Insurance

    Can be written with a condominium form or a renters form depending on what you are responsible for insuring.

  • Condominium

    Used specifically for owners of condominium units, provides building, personal property and liability coverage.

  • Mobile Home

    Designed specifically for these types of residences for owner and non owner occupied units.

Coverage A


This coverage is used to protect the physical structure. Your home should ideally be insured to 100% of it’s Replacement Cost.

Coverage B

Other Structures

Used to protect unattached structures such as a shed, detached garage or an inground swimming pool.

Coverage C


This coverage is for your household belongings.

Coverage D

Loss of Use

This pays for you and your family to stay in a hotel if your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss.

Coverage E

Personal Liability

Coverage for Bodily Injury or Property Damage that an insured is found to be liable.

Coverage F

Medical Payments

Coverage for medical payments to another person regardless of the negligence of an insured person.

  • A Word About Replacement Cost

    • Replacement Cost value is often confused with the Market or Tax Assessment value of your home.
    • Insurance companies base insurance on Replacement Cost only.
    • This approach contemplates the cost to replace your home with like kind and quality materials.
  • Tips on Purchasing a Policy

    • Calculate Replacement Cost value of your home with an agent.
    • Inquire about discounts.
    • Purchase Replacement Cost Coverage on your belongings.
    • Buy Personal Liability Limits to match your personal assets.
    • Consider scheduling your valuable items on a rider and not in your Contents limit.
    • Use larger deductibles to pay for better coverage.

What to Expect

We will collect information on you as well as your home. The following information will be needed to accurately quote your policy:
  • Year Built
  • Square Footage
  • When were the last updates to your Roof, Heating system, Plumbing and Electric
  • Are there fire hydrants within 1000 feet of your home?
  • How far away is the fire department?
  • Be able to identify all deeded owners to the property
  • Be sure any mortgagees are listed correctly with loan numbers
  • Is your insurance billed via your escrow account?
  • Have your latest insurance policy handy
  • Is your home rented to others
  • Do you run a business from Your Home
  • If you have a dog or dogs, what breed and any bite history
  • Do you own a trampoline?
  • If you have a pool, is it fenced properly and is their a diving board

If you decide to buy, we will need pictures of your home. Many Insurance Companies will do an outside inspection of homes they insured. Pictures can be done by one of our agents or by you. Either way, they need to be an accurate representation of the condition of your property. They will also need to include any Outbuildings on your property.